Sunday, November 23, 2014

Ka'iwa Ridge Hike (aka: The Lanikai Pillboxes)

When jdizzle and I made the agreement to get our sorry asses into shape, what first occurred to me was, "hey! Let's go for a run!" I was quickly reminded (about 0.2 miles into my first jog) exactly why I don't run.

First, it's boring. What am I running toward, exactly?

Second, I have short legs. Not made for running.

Third, I don't need a third reason. I run because I have to. Not because I want to.

In contemplating this hatred of running yet urge to prepare for the Spartan Race, I hatched a plan to attack this Rocky IV-style. We were going to go au naturale (no, not naked, you weirdos) and get out of the gym, get away from the free weights and let nature train us. We hit the trails.

Our first hike together was an obvious choice - the Pillboxes. Its publicly-accessible trailhead makes it enticing to even the most novice (and out-of-shape) hiker, plus its proximity to the #1 & #2 beaches in the world (Lanikai and Kailua Beach) isn't too bad either.

So we set out.

Parking is somewhat of an issue since the mountain/trailhead/pillboxes are situated above a relatively posh neighborhood and country club, but the residents have been very friendly and mostly accommodating to the vast numbers of tourists and hikers who come each day to conquer this hike. Most people will find parking down the hill from the trailhead, so the uphill walk is a nice warm-up for your calves, which will be in for a rude awakening right from the onset of the hike itself, especially if you don't regularly exercise.

My little dude at the trailhead. Ridiculously easy to find. (The trailhead, I mean. Not my kid.)

The first trudge up the mountainside will give you a great cardio workout but the push to continue is great, especially when you come to the first lookout.


I mean, look. My 6 year-old can do this hike. If that doesn't motivate you, then I don't know what will.


This is where the ridge line begins… at your first elevated view of the Mokulua Islands in Kailua Bay. The trail is easy enough to follow, it's very worn-in and well-traversed. We try to do this hike at least a couple of times a month, just to kind of keep a hand in and to remind us where we started. It does get easier (and faster) with time, let me just say. The hoards of tourists can be a bit of a drawback, but if you don't mind crowds at the end of your hike, this will be ok for you. I just put in my headphones, put my head down and haul ass for the top and try to ignore most of the people on my way up.

That's my mom. She beast-moded it up with me one day and left me in her tracks. To be fair, she runs marathons.  

Just follow the trail (or the crowds, depending on the time of day) and you'll quickly find yourself at the summit and the first bunker. 

 First bunker! That's Flat Island just behind me, and Kaneohe Marine Base in the distance.

A lot of people choose to turn around and head back down the trail from here, and that's fine. I didn't even realize there was a second (and apparently, an elusive third) bunker until just recently, and I have hiked this trail many, many times in the past. But to continue on to the 2nd bunker, just keep going along the ridge. The trail between the two bunkers is a saddle, but with no (excessively) steep drop-offs. I felt safe bringing my kid with me and letting him run with me between the bunkers, if that's any indication of how safe it is (or of my parenting style, haha.) 

That's me and mom at the 2nd bunker. I think the view from this pillbox is much prettier than the first.

You could certainly hang out up here for a while, enjoying the view and a snack - but I generally choose to snap off a few pics and head back down before my irritation level starts to rise. I love that people enjoy my home, but I can only handle large numbers of people for so long before I get snappy. It's still one of my favorites, and a perpetual go-to hike.

Because of the terrain, bring good shoes (hiking shoes not necessary, but you might find that your running shoes might not have the grippiness you want for the rocky pitch you'll encounter in certain places), and most of the hike is exposed ridge line so wear sunscreen! Water is always a necessity, as is your camera/phone/GoPro for pictures at the top.

How can you go wrong with a view like this?


Trail length (round-trip): 1.2 miles (0.6 mile each way)
Elevation gain: ~500 feet
Time: Approximate, depending on fitness level. I've done it in 12 minutes from base to top, but you can certainly take your time and enjoy the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment